Pochettino reacts to reports linking Chelsea with this Premier League striker

Photo: Sebastian Frej/MB Media/Getty Images

Mauricio Pochettino has dismissed reports that Chelsea are considering a move for Brighton forward, Evan Ferguson.

Ferguson had a breakthrough season with Brighton last term, scoring 10 goals across all competitions.

The 19-year-old has so far registered six goals this season, and there are many outlets that claim he is attracting interest from the Blues.

The rumours may not be unrelated to the fact that Chelsea, under their new owner, Todd Boehly, have been going after some of the brightest young talents in football, but Pochettino has refused to be drawn into speaking about his side’s reported interest in the Republic of Ireland international.

“You know very well I don’t talk about rumours or players that are in a different club,” the 51-year-old said after Chelsea’s 1-0 victory over Fulham on Saturday.

“I am so respectful. We are not talking. We are assessing the squad and if something happens we will communicate that to you. At the moment we didn’t take any decision.

“I never said we need a centre-forward. After that it created a problem with my people. I didn’t say that yesterday that we need.

“I said we are working like other clubs. Trying to assess and see the market and all of the situations that can appear.

“[The] most important [thing] is that the club is ready to act in one or another direction. I never said we need to add another player.”